In the very old records of Shawano County, the name “Town of Waukechon”
appears as early as April 6, 1858, at which time it was ordered and determined
by the then existing County Board of Supervisors that the lands comprising
this township be set off in a town by itself.
Among the early settlers are found such names as John Kugel, Henry
and George Nemitz, Archie, James and Parian Semple, W. D. Peterson, William
Allender, D. Webster, Henry Caughill, Wencel Urban, Sr., Wencel Tomashek,
Peter Herbeck, Jacob Pleshk, Matt Vomastic, George Pettingill and William
At the first town meeting held at the home of James Semple, the following
officers were elected: James Semple, Chairman; W. D. Peterson and
William Allender, Supervisors; Parlan Semple, Clerk.
The first school (Semple School) was opened in 1873, with Miss Josephine
Maurer as the first school teacher.
The Jerusalem Evangelical Lutheran Church was building in the year
1873, with Rev. E. J. Homme as its first pastor.
The first Catholic Church was built in 1876 with Father Blasé
of Keshena as the Pastor.
The beautiful Wolf River, with an abundance of sturgeon, runs north
and south through the western part of the township.
Lunds Corner is a small unincorporated community, located in the
southern part of the township.
The Town of Waukechon is located just south of the City of Shawano,
and many of its inhabitants are of Bohemian descent.
Information furnished by:
Frank Kugel, Clerk
Town of Waukechon.