HARTLAND -- From Shawano County
When the early settlers came to the vicinity, which is now known as
the Town of Hartland, it was a land of virgin timber, uninhabited except
for a few Indians who enjoyed the hunting and fishing.
The Town of Hartland was organized in 1859.
Some of the first settlers were William and August Seering, Henry Burmeister,
David Krake, Fred Zernicke, Daniel Brusewitz, John Koch, Christian Drews,
Frederich Born, Charles Stern, Charles Sumnicht, Charles Zuehlsdorf, Charles
Wussow and Henry Luecke. Many of their descendants still reside in the
township on fine farms which were developed by these early settlers and
handed down to the present generation. The Town of Hartland is predominantly
settled by folks of German descent.
The first town election in 1860 was held at the home of Mr. Parks. The
town board consisted of the following members: Daniel Brusewitz, William
Seering and Fred Zernicke, with Charles Sumnicht as the Town Clerk.
The first public school was located in School District No. 1 which is
the present location of the Village of Bonduel.
The first church was St. Paul's Lutheran begun by Rev. Dickie who came
to Shawano County in 1863. In the early days church services were held
in the home of various parishioners. The first church, built of logs, was
erected in 1869.
The Village of Bonduel is located in the northwestern part of the Town
of Hartland, the gateway to Shawano County vacationland.
Clerk Town of Hartland