|GERMANIA -- It
was on November 10, 1886 by a resolution introduced by Supervisor Lehman,
that the Town of Germania was detached from the Town of Fairbanks and made
a separate town.
The first town meeting was held April
15, 1887 in the home of Ed. Shermerhorn who presided at the meeting and
received $5.00 for the use of his home for such purpose.
At that meeting Herman Sawnke [Swanke] was
elected chairman, Ed. Shermerhorn and David Durow were elected supervisors,
H.A. Weichman was elected clerk, J.A. Rudolph, treasurer; Ernest Lehman,
assessor; Chas. Klenke and Chas. Mahlzen, Justices of the Peace and Chas.
Klenke, constable. Twenty-six votes were cast by the first settlers of
the new township who were: Herman Leitzke, Sr., Ernest Horning, Ernest
Lehman, Frank Hitz, Sr., Fred Monicke, Gustave Damraw, Dave Durow, Nels
Nelson, Gharles Block, William Kessel, August Korth, Chas. Malzen, Chas.
Foth, H.A. Weichman, W. Wilker, Julius Steinke, James Smith, W. Zuelke,
Wm. Borchardt, Wm. Breaker, Herman Swanke, E.W. Swanke, Ed. Shermerhorn,
August Schroeder, and Chas. Klenke.
Two school districts were created July 2, 1887.
District One school was for the children of twelve years of age, and District
Two for young people seventeen years of age. The first school board members
were Fred Monicke, director; Ernest Horning, clerk; Herman Wilker, treasurer.
The first sawmill in that township was built
in 1887 when Herman Swanke, Herman Wilker, Wm. Otterman and Henry Hillman
went into partnership to build the mill. Later on the partnership was dissolved
and Herman Swanke was the sole owner of the mill. In 1891 it burned down
and Mr. Swanke then rebuilt the mill in Tigerton.
In 1890 the town built a Town Hall out of rough
logs 20x30 feet with rough lumber floor at a total cost of $300.00. Forty
acres of land were purchased in Section 16 for a site for the Town Hall.
Later, the town sold thirty acres of that piece and retained ten acres.
Information furnished by:
Paul Lehman, Chairman,
Town of Germania