Pgs 659-660

GEORGE H. FRAZER, a leading citizen of Lessor township, Shawano county, was born in New York City May 30, 1844, a son of Henry P. and Jane (Moyston) Frazer, who were both born in Ireland, in the year 1805.
     
Henry P. Frazer was a civil engineer in Ireland, and engaged in mercantile pursuits in New York until 1846, when he abandoned that and took up farming, which he ever afterward followed.  There were  the  following children in the family: James, now in Brooklyn, N. Y., where he is a contractor, has a wife and large family, and is a very successful man; Isabella, married to Andrew H. Frazer, a distant relative, who was killed by a boiler explosion on the  Saginaw river in 1861 (she now lives with her brother George H.); William S., who is living in Vinland, Winnebago Co., Wis., engaged  in farming, which he has always followed with gratifying success, married and had one daughter, Carrie, who died at the age of fifteen years (his wife died in January, 1895); Margaret S., widow of Orin Pebbles, of Stephensville, Outagamie Co., Wis., who was an early settler of that place, following farming there until he enlisted in the Civil war, and dying in 1889 from disabilities originating while he was in the service (he left a wife and five childrenóCharles, Jennie, Lottie, George and Nellie;  Mrs. Pebbles is still living on the homestead in Stephensville; Annie J., wife of Henry P. Walrath (they have three childrenóMinnie (Mrs. Harry Ditzel, of Bay City, Mich.), Harry P. and  Edith; (Mr. Walrath is a merchant in Seymour, Outagamie Co., Wis., and was by occupation a sawfiler in sawmills;  Mary G., first married to John Murshgraves, who was killed in the war of the Rebellion, leaving one daughter, Jennie (Mrs. John F. Johnson, of Angelica township, Shawano county, who has one son, Harris J.), and for her second husband married J. Gardiner, of Angelica township; and George H., the subject proper of these lines. 
     
Henry P. Frazer and his wife left New York City in 1846, and went with their family upon a farm in Lewis county, N. Y., where he bought some hundred acres of land, mostly in a primitive condition, on which stood a log house about 18 x 20 feet, in which they made their beginning. There were some four acres cleared, and this work was continued at the expense, to some extent, of the education of the younger children. By the help of his boys Mr. Frazer made a home, and they lived there until about 1855, when, having sold the farm, they moved to Saginaw, Mich., and remained there some time. Mr. Frazer, being crippled, did nothing; his eldest son was in Brooklyn, N. Y., and George H. Frazer worked in the machine shop in Saginaw, Mich., when, in 1861, the parents left that place and removed to Stephensville, Outagamie. Co., Wis. At that time Appleton was the terminus of the Chicago & North Western railway. Buying twenty-five acres of land, they lived there four years, when Mr. Frazer sold out and returned to Saginaw, Mich., and there he and his wife spent the remainder of their lives, he dying in 1872; she in 1893, at the advanced age of ninety-five years.
     
When George H. Frazer was two years old his parents removed to the farm in Lewis county, N. Y., and he was early accustomed to hard labor. He left home in Stephensville in 1864, and enlisted in Company A, First Wis. V. C., was mustered into service in Green Bay, Wis., and was sent with his command to Nashville, Tenn., then farther south, participating in active service from that time. This regiment and the Fourth Michigan had the honor of capturing Jefferson Davis. The First Wis. V. C. were engaged in several regular battles, and had numerous skirmishes. Mr. Frazer was wounded at Hopkinsville, Ky., and was laid up in hospital. They were discharged at Nashville; Tenn., in June, 1865, at the close of the war, and Mr. Frazer came back to Oshkosh, and was in the employ of farmers until the time of his marriage.
     
On April 6, 1869, George H. Frazer married Lomanda C. Clark, who was born in Vinland, Winnebago Co., Wis., February 11, 1850, and they have reared a family of nine  children, as  follows: George C., at home; Darwin A., farmer of Vinland, Wis.; Anna J., who is engaged in Church work in the Deaconess Home in Milwaukee; James W., a  carpenter, at  home; Bessie  May, Daisy Belle, and Verna Vane, all at home; a daughter that died in infancy; Kittie V. W., who died at the age of five years. The parents of Mrs. George  H. Frazer, George and Catherine (Baird) Clark, were from Lincolnshire, England, and Ireland, respectively. Mr. Clark, who was a farmer, came about the year 1846 to Wisconsin, bought a tract of land, opened it up and cleared a home. They had five daughters, namely: Elizabeth, wife of Robert Small, a farmer of Oshkosh township, Winnebago county, who was a soldier in the war of the Rebellion; Mary, wife of William Crowfoot, a farmer of Maple Grove township, Shawano county, who was also a soldier in the Civil war; Lomanda C., Mrs. Frazer;  Rebecca  A., wife of Loran Pennock, of Scottsville, Ky.,  owner of a spoke factory; and Ellen, Mrs. Andrew Anderson, of Vinland, Wis., who is living on the homestead, her mother living with them at the age of eighty years. The father died April 5, 1872, aged sixty-two years; he was a large man, weighing 280 pounds.
     
Mr. Frazer came with a team and wagon from Vinland to Shawano county, locating here in what is now Lessor township, and took up 160 acres of land, a part of which he still owns. The journey took five days. There were no roads when he came, and he cut his own road to the farm, and afterward helped to cut many of the other roads here. He built a frame house, 18x24 feet, in which they started their new life, and commenced to clear a home for himself, working the first year with only an axe and a grub-hoe, for he had no team. This went on, and he soon had crops, so that the land became of some assistance as a means of support. He paid twenty-two cents a pound for salt pork, and nine dollars a barrel for flour. Mr. Frazer did his first threshing with a flail, and eight cents a bushel was the charge made for threshing oats by the first machine, and ten cents for wheat. When he came here there were only four settlers in the township, which was then a part of Waukechon, and at the first vote in the township there were only seventeen voters. Mr. Frazer's eldest daughter, Anna, was the first white child born in the township. The little hamlet of Frazer, as well as the postoffice of that name, were named in honor of Mr. Frazer, he being the first settler in that place. Through the united efforts of himself and his noble wife, Mr. Frazer has made a fine home out of the wilderness, and has not only seen the many improvements made in the vicinity, but has also been instrumental in securing them. Today he has 120 acres of land, of which some seventy are cleared, and he has carried on general agriculture, for seventeen years also operating a threshing machine. In 1876 he was burned out, with a loss of some five hundred dollars. Mr. Frazer is a member of Seymour Lodge, I. O. O. F. Politically he is a Republican, and has always supported that party. In 1892 he was chosen, at Milwaukee, as one of the delegates to attend the National convention held at Omaha, Neb. He was the first Chairman of Lessor township, holding the office four years, has been town clerk, town treasurer three years, assessor one year, and justice of the peace continuously since the town, was organized, holding that office at the present time. At present he is erecting one of the most sightly and commodious farm houses in the county. 

Back to the Biographies Index Page
Back to the Shawano County Index Page