Pages 551- 2
FISHER BROTHERS, who are
general merchants and dealers in implements at Angelica, Shawano county,
are among the wide-awake and pushing young business men of the county.
The firm consists of two brothers, Harry and Albert, born, respectively,
July 14, 1859, in Milwaukee, and June 12, 1862, in Sheboygan Falls, Sheboygan
county, Wis. They are sons of Martin Fisher, at present one of the
prominent farmers of Lessor township, Shawano county.
Martin Fisher was born in Canada, came to the United States a
young man with no means, save his own energy and industry, and was united
in marriage in Granville, Milwaukee Co., Wis., with Miss Carrie Dufcher,
who was born in that county.
They have had the following named children: Harry and Albert,
the subjects of this sketch; Nellie, now Mrs. Frank Hathaway, of Centralia,
Wood county; William, at home; and Clara, now Mrs. Plynn Miller, of Shawano
county, Wis. Martin Fisher was employed for some time as a
section foreman on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, and about
1860 removed to Sheboygan Falls, Wis., where for six or seven years he
was engaged in the manufacture of pumps. He then went to Cooperstown, Manitowoc
county, where he conducted the hotel known as "Kings House," carried on
a successful business, and later removed to De Pere, Brown county. There
he was landlord at the "National House," where he remained until the spring
of 1878, when he removed to Lessor township, Shawano county, and bought
eighty acres of land in Section 24, which was in a primitive condition,
and undisturbed by the early settler. A small log house in the woods was
the first home, and there were but few settlers in the neighborhood.
The land was heavily timbered, there was plenty of work to be done, and
clearing, etc., was commenced. This represented much work, before the new
farms became the source of any revenue to the early pioneers, and this
was the case with Mr. Fisher's farm, but the work of himself and his boys
soon put a different appearance upon the scene.
Mr. Fisher has improved his farm from time to time until now
it comprises sixty acres of land which has all been cleared by himself
and family. In politics he has always been a Democrat, and stanch
is his support of the party. He is one of the substantial farmers and citizens
of Lessor township, has made his money by hard knocks, perseverance and
industry, having commenced a poor young man, and is respected and held
in esteem by all who know him.
Harry Fisher received the common-school education of his time,
lived at home when a young man, and was employed at such work as a young
man could get to do in the different places, where his parents resided.
While in De Pere he learned shingle-making, which, occupied much of his
time until he launched into mercantile life, and was the cause of the loss
of two fingers of his left hand by accident. In October 1889, with his
brother Albert, he purchased the mercantile stock at Angelica, and though
it was a new undertaking to them they seemed to adapt themselves to it
at once, prospered from the start, and increased the trade considerably.
After a short time they purchased the store-room, and later added implements
to their stock, a department of the business which is under the able management
of Albert, the younger member of the firm. Albert had a common-school education,
and made his home with his parents until he embarked in business.
In May, 1891, Albert Fisher was united in marriage in Lessor
township with Miss Christine Arnaman, who was born of German parentage,
and was one of the estimable young ladies of Two Rivers, Manitowoc county.
They have had two children: Erwin and Harry. Mrs. Fisher's father
was a farmer in Manitowoc county. Harry Fisher and his brother Albert
are both Republicans, and, though workers in their party, have never mingled
in politics, declining offices and preferring to devote their time and
attention solely to their business. Harry looks after matters
in the store, and Albert attends to the sale of implements and horses.
They have, by fair and systematic methods, built up a large trade, enjoy
the respect and confidence of a wide circle of patrons, and deserve to
be classed among the foremost in the ranks of the representative business
men of their county.