REV. HERMAN S. W. DAIB -
When valuable public services, an unblemished integrity and a genuine private
virtue, derivable only from the daily practice of religion and piety, contribute
to adorn the character of an individual, then is it most proper to be set
prominently forth as an example to those who would make themselves useful
to their fellow men. And the writer cherishes the belief that he will perform
this acceptable service to the public in giving a brief sketch of this
Mr. Daib is a native of Ohio, having first seen the light in
Bern township, Fairfield county, August 26, 1862, and is a son of Rev.
John L. Daib, who was born in Niederrimbach, in the Kingdom of Wuerttemberg,
Germany, July 13, 1830, and who when thirteen years old lost his father
by death, and his mother some few years before. There were two sons and
one daughter in the family besides John L. At the age of nineteen years
John L. Daib emigrated from the Fatherland to the United States, locating
in St. Louis, Mo., where he was persuaded to study for the ministry by
Dr. W. Sihier, whereupon he attended the seminary at Fort Wayne, Ind. After
his ordination he had charges in Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin,
his last incumbency being in the first-named State, where he died December
31, 1894. He was there married to Susanna E., daughter of Nicolas and Catherine
(Heiser) Zeit, both of German birth, came to America in 1832, and here
married, where they followed agricultural pursuits in the State of Indiana.
Five children were born to them, viz.: Susanna E., John, Jacob, Margaret
and Lucinda. To Rev. John L. Daib and wife were born twelve children, those
yet living being Mary, Frederick, Sophia, Herman S. W., Emilie, Adelinde,
Martin, Frieda and Lydia; the deceased were Theodore, Helen and Leonard.
The subject proper of these lines received his primary education
at the parochial school of Oshkosh, Wis. Subsequently he attended
college at Fort Wayne, Ind., from which institution he was graduated in
1881; then entered the Theological Seminary at St. Louis, from which he
was graduated in 1884. The first charge to which he was appointed, was
at Wittenberg. Wis., whence at the end of three years he removed to Antigo,
in the same State, and, in August, 1888, came to Merrill to accept the
incumbency as pastor of St. John's Lutheran Church, where he has since
remained. Under his careful and watchful pastorate the congregation and
church have been blessed with increase and prosperity, for when he came
to the charge seven years ago there was a membership of but 45; now there
are 120 voting members, who worship in an elegant brick church, recently
erected, to which is attached a growing parochial school of 120 scholars.
In 1888 Rev. Herman S. W. Daib and Miss Hermine Dicke were united
in marriage, and two children have come to brighten their home—Herbert
and Kurt. Mrs. Daib is a native of Wisconsin, born in Belle Plaine township,
Shawano county, a daughter of Rev. Henry and Catherine Dicke, who were
the parents of nine children, all yet living and named respectively: Henry,
Mary, Pauline, Hermine, William, Carl, John, Julia and Clara. Mr. and Mrs.
Daib enjoy, equally, the sincere respect and esteem of not only the members
of his flock, but of the entire community, in which they are well known.